Golden Beginnings Golden Retriever Rescue is a non-profit organization founded in 1999, staffed solely by volunteers, devoted to providing rescue and necessary veterinary medical care for unwanted, neglected, abused, homeless and displaced Golden Retrievers in Houston, Texas and the surrounding area.
We strive to place our Goldens in adoptive homes. In our first fifteen years, GBGRR has rescued more than 4,000 Golden Retrievers and received numerous awards and grants.
We received the Starfish Award from the Golden Retriever Club of America (GRCA) for our rescue efforts during hurricane Katrina, and in 2008, two of our rescued Goldens won G.R.A.C.E. (Golden Retrievers Achieving Community Excellence) Awards in two different categories at the GRCA Nationals in Providence, Rhode Island.where they will receive a lifetime of love.
GBGRR gladly cooperates with other rescue groups in neighboring areas to aid in the placement of Goldens into the appropriate loving family environments they deserve. Our coverage area overlaps several areas where Golden Retriever Rescue Groups are already in existence.
Our hope is that by providing a large area of coverage, no Golden Retrievers will “fall through the cracks” when several groups are contacted, and no decision can be made as to which Rescue Group should handle certain rescue situations. One of our main goals is to have enough volunteers and foster homes statewide that all small towns and shelters will have someone to call when a Golden Retriever is in need.
Golden Beginnings Golden Retriever Rescue (GBGRR), established in May 1999, is a voluntary non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable organization. We rely on donations and fund raising activities, with all proceeds going directly to cover expenses for foster dogs and veterinary care for Goldens in need.
All founding members live in multi-Golden Retriever households and dearly love the breed. We are all volunteers who hold many different jobs in “real” life. We are not “professionals” in animal behavior, training, or health, although we do have contact with those who are.
“The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.”
Golden Beginnings Golden Retriever Rescue was formed:
- To provide shelter, veterinary care, and comprehensive evaluations for homeless, stray, abandoned, abused, and neglected Golden Retrievers;
- To provide a good quality of life for homeless Golden Retrievers of any age;
- To provide, through adoption, permanent loving homes for displaced and unwanted Golden Retrievers, whether young or old, sick or healthy;
- To seek to reduce the numbers of unwanted, abused and neglected Golden Retrievers through rehabilitation, education, and adoption;
- In accepting dogs into our program, preference is given to those facing euthanasia, to those living in shelters or pounds, and to those in untenable living situations. We also attempt to accommodate owner turn-ins, to keep those dogs from facing such fates and to allow them to go from one home to another with less disruption;
- To educate dog owners and the general public about responsible pet ownership, including spaying/neutering, training and humane care of Golden Retrievers and other pets;
- To cooperate with state and local authorities in the enforcement of laws related to the welfare of dogs;
- To protect the Golden Retriever from careless breeding in order to preserve the excellent qualities of this breed for future generations.